The Developmental Programme for 2 – 3yr olds
The Developmental Programme for 2 – 3yr old’s was established in Sure Start South Armagh in 2007.
The programme aims to offer children and their families the opportunity to access high quality play provision. This has proven to enhance children’s early learning and development
- Recognises each child as an individual
- Values the role of the parent as the first educator
- Actively encourages the participation of the family in learning and development opportunities that quality play provides
The programme aids to
- Support children’s social, emotional, physical and language development
- Foster greater independence
- Increase their levels of attention and concentration
- Help them to settle in quickly to their pre-school setting thus being better prepared for school life
There are 3 elements to the programme
Children attend group sessions for no more than 2.5 hours per day, delivered over 3 or 4 days per week. Sessions follow the school year September – June
The programme team create an environment which allows children to explore and experience the following activities: arts, crafts, music, movement, group play and outdoor play
As part of the programme for two year olds a minimum of 3 home visits take place. This allows staff to keep you updated on the progress of your child as well as giving you the parents/carers an opportunity to build confidence in staff and develop closer relationships between children, staff and parents.
Stay and Play:
Stay and play sessions are held in the programmes setting. As it is widely recognised that play is essential for children’s overall development. The purpose of these sessions is to provide parents/carers an opportunity to join with their child in a variety of play experiences. An example of a stay and play session includes: outdoor fun, messy play and playing with free and found materials.
Additional support is provided to all families participating in the programme from the wider Sure Start team. A number of workshops are delivered by Speech and Language Therapist and Parenting Support Worker throughout the year.
Who can apply
- The child must live within the ward areas covered by Sure Start South Armagh
- The child must meet the age requirement for the programme – Age between 2 years 2 months and 3 years 2 months by 1st September
- Eligible families must be registered with Sure Start South Armagh
- Proof of age/residency will be requested prior to placement being confirmed
For further information on the Developmental Programme for 2-3yr old’s contact
Sure Start South Armagh
39 Newtown Road
Telephone: 028 30830022