The team in Sure Start South Armagh are now all trained in the Solihull Approach.
This is a parenting approach where parents are supported to;
- Understand how their child develops, in particular the importance of how a baby’s brain develops in the early years.
- How to understand and tune in to what their child is feeling and how to respond to those feelings, known as containment.
- How to understand the rhythm of communication between a parent and their child known as reciprocity.
- Understand how all of the above can help with behaviour management and promotion of infant mental health.
- The Solihull Approach includes many practical leaflets covering topics such as;
- Value of play
- Weaning and feeding
- Being a parent
- Child development; emotional and physical
- Brain development throughout childhood
Please contact Sure Start staff for more information.